Grote Reber Museum, at the Mt. Pleasant Radio Telescope Observatory
January 30, 2016
Time: 11.00 am - 4.00 pm
Grote Reber Museum
off Richmond Road, Cambridge
Sorell Council has joined with Clarence City Council to host this year’s World Wetlands Day Celebration event which is set to be bigger and better!
There’ll be a fabulous line-up of wetland-themed events for all the family, including:
- Snappy science talks – local wetland experts give short, sharp and sometimes funny talks on our wetlands and the animals and plants that call them home.
- Weaving with wetland plants – renowned textile artist Gwen Egg will be on-site all day, taking weedy plants that have been removed from local wetlands, and teaching people how to weave them into fabulous baskets and animal sculptures.
- Live saltmarsh music! Folk renditions of wetland-themed tunes.
- For the kids – Discovery Rangers will be coordinating a range of fun kids’ activities, which will focus on the animals and plants that call our wetlands home.
- There will also be wetland-themed face painting for your own little swamp monsters!
- Readings of poems shortlisted from the inaugural World Wetlands Day Poetry Prize, sponsored by Sorell and Clarence City Councils and Inspiring Australia. The winner of this prize will be announced on the day by renowned Australian poet Sarah Day. Interested in learning more, or perhaps writing a poem yourself? Go to worldwetlandsdaypoetryprize.org
- We’ll also be launching the schools’ World Wetlands Day Poetry Prize, to be judged by best-selling author, conservationist, ex-paratrooper and wetlands appreciator Bradley Trevor Greive.
- A tour of the radio telescope – it’s one of three telescopes in Australia which measures changing sea-levels.
- Launch of Vishnu Prahalad and Rachel Tribout’s new poster and checklist, Tasmanian Saltmarsh Wetland Birds, by UTAS’s distinguished Professor Jamie Kirkpatrick.
- Fabulous wetland-themed food will be also available on-site.
All of the day’s activities are FREE! But we’d really appreciate it if you RSVP to help us organize the event. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or via the below link:
Event audience: Everyone